Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Still no school

Tuesday was Della Jane's first day of pre-K! They grow up fast, don't they. Some parents were walking their kids in so I asked DJ if she wanted me to walk her in, "no thanks" she says. So we drive up to the line and she is so excited she is bouncing around in the backseat. Mrs. Jeanna is our sweet preschool director, she opened the door for DJ and we started talking about Clara. DJ wasn't having any if that. She squeezed around Jeanna and ran in. Then she came back, stuck her head around Jeanna, waves and yells, "bye mom, love you." And she was off again.

Clara Jean and I went up to Vandy to have her counts checked again. I made a point to ask Dr. Whitlock last week, what her ANC had to be for her to go back to school. See, I knew that we would be dealing with different people, nurses and doctors, that all have their own opinion of when it is OK to go back to school. I wanted to know what Dr. W wanted and I planned on following it. And it was a good thing that I asked.


CJ and I got to the hospital a little early. (I know, I am never early.) Anyway, we have been early before and it worked nicely because they took us back and moved us right along. This wasn't the case on Tuesday. I guess since they were closed Monday they had all of Monday's and Tuesday's patients there. It was a lot of people. Did I tell you the story a while back about the lady, a patient's mother, who was going on and on about Miley Cyrus? Miley isn't really 16, she's much older, it is all a publicity stunt. Miley wouldn't be famous if it weren't for her dad...blah, blah, blah. So this same lady is in the lobby, on the phone, yelling. Not yelling at the person on the other end. No, more to the person on the other end. Something about the idiotic nurse and on and on. Well, I think we got her nurse. Not the idiotic part. But she wasn't in the best of moods and I am thinking maybe it was because she just got chewed out.

The nurse accessed CJ's port and did have some trouble getting the blood to flow. It took her a little while to get it moving but once she did it was fine. It was so crowded that we had to go back out to the waiting room and sit. After almost an hour the nurse came out and told me that her ANC was 640. She said, "I know Jim, I mean Dr. Whitlock, says that she needs to be at 750 but she really can go to school if it is over 500." Umm...thanks. But I think I will stick with what my doctor told me. I mean really. It has taken her 9 days to go from 220 to 640. The doc last week said that she was bouncing back slowly. So why would I send her to school before she is strong enough? Why would I put her in a situation that will likely land her right back in the hospital? So I told the nurse that I wasn't going to send her to school until her ANC was 750 and she was a little irritated. So then she says,"well, then you should just wait a day or two and then send her back. It will be up by then." Again...no. I told her that I was going to bring her back on Thursday to have her counts checked again. I'm sorry, but I am not going to take any chances with my little girl.

We'll head back on Thursday. I am praying that her counts are incredibly high. Surprisingly high. I so want her to feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment