Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Bald Barbie Dolls

Let me start with some history. When we were at Vandy last week and CJ was about to have her MRI, she was scared. Something very cool happened. They brought in a doll to be CJ's patient. She was able to put an IV in her arm and make a "plan" for the doll that would help her not be scared of the IV. This exercise was very good for Clara. She really soaked it up and when it was time for the IV, she started to protest and then she said, "Oh, I remember, I have a plan."

Yesterday morning, CJ and Emma were playing in Emma and Lillie's room. I stuck my head in to check on them and found them playing Barbies. CJ was cutting off the Barbie's hair. I wasn't sure what to think about it. I mean, kids do that kind of stuff, right? Was it a coincidence that Clara was going to have to have her hair shaved for the surgery? I hadn't told her yet, but she is a smart little girl and the tumor is mostly under her hair.

Later, Emma told me that Clara knew. It broke my heart. My baby is going to have to endure so much. Then I remembered the doll from the ER. Clara had too. Somewhere inside Clara Jean knew that the doll had helped her deal with her fears and she used that to deal with the fear of having her head shaved. I think that she is smarter than I am! I am already amazed at her strength and her courage. She is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment