Friday, June 12, 2009

What a week!

The past week has been long, tiring, emotional, joyful...the list goes on and on. I am exhausted. I think that I am sleeping plenty but I just don't feel rested. This week was VBS at our church. Monday morning I left Clara and Della with my mom, I dropped Lillie and Emma off at VBS and just ran some errands. Tuesday morning, and every morning after, we all went. I was able to stay with Clara and take breaks as needed. Once or twice each day we would wander off and find our way to a board game or a snack and just relax.

I want to take a minute to tell you about our VBS experience. My kids have always gone to VBS and sometimes more than one over the summer. You know, one of their friends invites them to their VBS and they love to go. This is our 3rd VBS at The People's Church. This year, when I saw that VBS fell the week after Clara's surgery, I was worried that she wouldn't be up to it and that she would be so disappointed. I was partially right, she wasn't 100% up to it, but I was there to take her off to chill out whenever she needed it. I know that I have already said over and over that I have been so blessed, overwhelmed even, by the outpouring of love that has come to our family because of this trial. And being at VBS showed it even more. I can't tell you how many people were happy to see Clara. I can't tell you how many people told us they had been praying. So many people asking how we're doing and offering to help. But all those people weren't what made the biggest impact on me this week. It was all those kids. Between 800-900 kids singing, lifting up their little arms and praising God. It had me in tears. How is it all those kids can sing and praise the Lord and not be worrying about what the person next to them thinks? But adults on Sunday morning can't? Why are we so worried about expressing how much we love God? Why is it that we are thinking about the other people in the room instead of The One that we are singing for? And the words. When I heard them singing, "I will obey every day and trust Him to take care of me" it really hit me. What an opportunity to teach Clara, to trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment